Glass Pendant Necklaces Tutorial

paisley 1
Easy. Cheap. Adorable. How can you pass up something like this? I found places online where they sold the tutorials on how to make these glass pendant necklaces. Here’s mine for free. If you make something using this tutorial, please upload pictures of it in our Flickr group to show it off to everyone. You may be featured on Simply Modern Mom.

Supplies:

• paper
  • exacto knife
  • ruler
  • cutting board
  • glass tiles* (rectangular, circular, or square shapes available)
  • bails* (I used aanraku small size)
  • clear glue (I used Diamond Glaze. Mod Podge will work too, just not as well.)
  • super glue or E6000
  • toothpick
  • wax paper
  • ball chains, ribbons, necklaces
  • paper towels

*glass pendants and bails can be found pretty much anywhere online… Amazon, Etsy supplies, etc. I have also found bails at craft stores.

1. Using the exacto knife, cutting board, and ruler, cut your papers to the size of your glass tiles. I prefer to cut my papers slightly smaller than the tiles (about 1mm shorter all the way around). I had squared tiles, so I rounded the corners of my paper a bit to fit the tiles better. You can use just about any kind of paper, although tissue paper may be to thin and transparent. Suggestions: magazine pages, scrapbook paper, origami paper, cardstock.

squares

2. Clean the glass tiles with a slightly damped paper towel or cloth. Allow to dry completely.

clean glass

3. Lay a sheet of wax paper over your work space, the glue doesn’t stick to it. If your glass tile has a frosted side, you will want the paper to glue to the frosted side. Apply a layer of Diamond Glaze or Mod Podge to the frosted side of the glass tile. Gently place the paper onto the glue with the designs facing down. (The polka dots in the picture below is the back side of my pendant. The design is on the other side of paper.)

4. Quickly wipe off excess glue with toothpick and dry paper towels. Turn the tile over and press down on the glass tile hard to allow the layer of glaze to even out. Allow to dry completely, approximately 30 minutes to an hour.

paper to glass

5. Working on the back side of the pendant again, put another layer of glaze over the back of the paper to seal it. If you are using the Diamond Glaze, you will only have to do this once. If you are using Mod Podge, you will need to use a brush and do a few coats allowing drying time between coats. I also applied glaze on the sides of the paper to protect the edges. Use a toothpick and paper towel to wipe off excess glaze or glue. Also use the toothpick to pop any air bubbles in the glaze. Let it completely dry, approximately 5-6 hours or longer.

seal backing

6. Once it dried, clean off any excess glue anywhere on the glass tile with a lightly damped paper towel or carefully scratch it off with finger nails.

7. Glue bails to the back of the pendants at the top. Make sure you check your designs and note which side you would like to have as the top of the pendant. If you use super glue, apply a small amount of the glue to the back of the tile and the bail. Work quickly as it dries fast. You will also need to get it right the upon first contact because super glue doesn’t allow much time for adjustments. If you use E6000, squeeze a pea size onto wax paper. Then use a toothpick to apply a small amount of it to the back of the tile and on the bail.

bails

8. Let it dry for about 30 minutes to an hour. Then put on ball chains, ribbons, or necklaces.

drying pendants

Featuring Thea, my model…

purple flowers

paisley 2

purple heart

118 Responses to “Glass Pendant Necklaces Tutorial”

• Sheila

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! My daughter is the artist in the family so I shared this with her…also pinned

• Amy

Thanks for the tutorial. I’ve been making glass pendants, but the tutorial I was using said not to press on the glass, as you would get “glitter” spots. Have you had any problems with glittery spots? I like your idea better about pressing hard because mine is not exactly even all the time. Also, do you let the first glue dry with the glass side up? When I do mine, I print all my pictures (reduced to a little bigger than the pendent glass) on a sheet of good quality paper and then take it to a place that will make a laser copy for me. It only costs $1.00 where I take them, and I get 32 pictures on a sheet. Then I don’t have to worry about ink running.

• Diantha

Really cute!! You can do this with mini pictures of you loved ones as well!

• ann

very easy to follow, and beautiful !!!! these are gonna be christmas gifts to my friends and family ,

• mac

I have re-visted this project again after 2 years from my 1st attempt. My problem is with air bubbles. I’ve watched every video I could find, and the toothpicks nor straws work in eliminating them. I’ve noticed this round that sometimes they don’t appear until the drying begins. One time I set up about 40 pieces and only 10 of them could be used as they lacked any air bubbles. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you!

did you shake the glaze before putting it on? maybe it’s how you are applying the glaze and when you squeeze the glaze out it is causing bubbles?

• Cathy Taylor

I just found your site. Thank you so much for the tutorial. I think you made my Christmas a whole lot easier. And I will be gifting myself with my favorites.

• Elaine

Just wanted to thank you for this wonderful idea and great tutorial. I’ve decided to make these for Christmas gifts. I would like to upload a picture to show you how well they turned out. I bought all of my supplies on-line at Sun and moon crafts and the paper from a local Montreal craft store (in the scrapbooking section).
    Again thank you for sharing.

• Brenda Kuhn

Thank you for the excellent tutorial and the supply info. I am in the middle of making little art palette pendants for my daughter’s 7 th birthday as part of the favor bag. They are turning out great. Will send a picture once I have them fully dried and complete. I hope they turn out as nice as yours when I finish.

• Kristin R. Truelove

Purse chains would be adorable…great Mother’s Day gifts!!!! Zipper pulls may be another.

• Barbara

Tiffany: love this idea. I’m having a problem with little wrinkle like things on the front. I tried pressing it and trying to smooth out with match stick but it’s there on all of them. Suggestions? I used Diamond Glaze.

• Brook

I am sooooo excited! I’m allergic to metal, but I think I can make these work for me. I’ve become so tired of my typical jewelry making endeavors! And gifts! I’m dancing to get started!!!

• Kriya

Thank you so much for sharing, such a fun idea. Also very cute to have your child draw a little flower, face, doggy, kitty, sunshine etc…and use that for ur design…Grandma loves it. The possibilities are endless. Thanks again, your fellow crafty mom

• Shelly Van Ess

Hi,
    Thank-you for posting this. I am excited to make this my weekend project. I am also going to be doing this on washers, creating baseballs, saw that on Pinterest.
    I think I’m going to seal my papers with clear acrylic sealer as I am going to draw some of my stuff. I will let you know how they turn out.
    What attaches the bails better, super glue or E6000??? My luck with E6000 hasn’t been good.

• ursoblond

This is a Super Tutorial – I love this idea and the necklace. I can also see it as a charm bracelet!!

• Barbara

No one answered me about how to get the folds, glue marks from the pics. They show through on the front of the glass. I also tried Diamond Glaze and Modge Podge and pressing very hard to smooth out the edges but there looks like there are folds in the paper (but there’s not) I can’t get it to look smooth from the front. Is there a certain type of paper you’re supposed to use? What about fabric? Thanks, again!

• Deb

With my experience you should not press down hard with diamond glaze. I put a generous amount on the tile without letting it seep over the edges. Hold it in position until it hardens up a little, then place it done on wax paper and let it set a good 15 – 24 hrs. I also first seal it with micro glaze. U can use midge pudge too.

• Deb

I have also used e6000 glue to adhere my glass tile to my paper.

• nancy laverick

that was really nice of you to post this for free. I am going to make some for Xmas and am going to try a bracelet to match

• Christine Halverson

WoW!! this is such a cute gift idea..I can’t wait to try this myself= )

• Ginger Freeman

Now that my granddaughters are out of school for the summer, crafting days are in the plan. These pendants are perfect for us to make during a little together time. Thanks for sharing this.

• Kim

Thank you so much for the very thorough tutorial. I had bought all the stuff to do it but wanted to find somewhere to tell me what to do. Your directions are super clear and make it seem so much fun. I can’t wait to try it now! I hope all my friends won’t mind getting these for gifts since I think it’s going to be an addiction. 🙂