Kaye’s Sketchbook Caddy

sketchbook caddy inside

I have been lucky in the sense that Kaye’s Christmas wishlist to Santa has been pretty simple the last two years. Last year, she wanted a candy cane. That’s it. I got her the biggest candy cane I could find. This year, the list got longer. A horn (the musical instrument kind, not the rhino kind), paper, pencils and a book. Easy enough, except the horn.

And because I can’t just wrap a ream of paper and a couple pencils and toss it under the tree, I came up with a sketchbook caddy for Kaye. You see, we’ve been having a little problem with Kaye and her drawings. She sees me with my sketchbook and is motivated to draw, too. I love that she is creative like me. However, the problem has been she takes the crayons, pens and markers then draws on our hearth, dressers, bookshelves and my office desk. Not ideal for the resale value of our house if we ever move. I’ve been trying to drill in her that we only draw on paper. Nothing else.¬†Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

I drafted the caddy idea in a day, then finished it the next day. And I had all the supplies at home, just needed the sketchpad and markers. If you made something inspired by Simply Modern Mom, please upload pictures of it in our Flickr group to show it off to everyone. You may be featured on Simply Modern Mom. What do you think? And anyone out there with an idea of how to get blue crayons out of a slab of marble?

sketchbook caddy cover

sketchbook caddy markers

44 Responses to “Kaye’s Sketchbook Caddy”

• Jess

Yes, PLEASE take and post pictures if (when) you make another of these!!! I’m new to your blog and am LOVING it to the point of slight obsession. Seriously,, I’ve already bookmarked like 15 of your posts to try when I stop procrastinating (aka stop making note of tons of fun projects to try and start making them). Even if no tutorial, the pohotos would help alot. From the photos in this post I thought you had covered a hard 3 ring binder (minus the rings) or something like that. I wonder if that would work to make a removable cover for a 3 ring binder…the wheels are a turning. I’ll definitely post my own pictures if anything usable comes of that spin on your awesome sketchbook caddy.

As for cleaning up the “artwork” on your house, I’m at a loss. I still have crayon sketchings all up and down my stairway from months ago. If I ever get off my lazy bum, I’ll paint over them with the leftover wall paint we have. Good luck with your own clean-up!

• Mollie

Would love to make some of these for my girls this year. Please share your secerets!

• Erin

BEAUTIFUL!!! If you do a tutorial, I would be forever grateful!!! This would be perfect for my older kids.

• Erin

Oh, and I have a question. How wide did you make your marker pockets? Sew every 3/4inch….maybe???? I have to make one! Thank you!!!!

• Jodie

Hi there, just wondering if there’s a tutorial for this idea? it’s great

• Sylvie

Try placing a piece of paper on the marble and heat it with a warm iron for 10-20 seconds. Check to see if it lifts off.

i know it’s been a few years but any chance you want to make a tutorial for this?

• Name

Try layering a couple paper towels or scrap fabric over the blue crayon marks, and heating with a hair dryer or iron. The heat should melt the crayon, and the cloth or towel should soak it up.

• Name

Place a couple layers of thick paper towel or scrap fabric over the crayon marks, and heat with a hair dryer or iron. The heat should melt the crayon, and the cloth should soak up what melts. It may take a couple tries to get it right.

Magic eraser doesn’t necessarily bleach things; it’s made of an abrasive material that more or less scours away marks, which is why paint can look lighter after using. Marble is rock, so using a magic eraser may leave small scratches or a dull-looking area (it’s basically scratching away at a polished surface), but it shouldn’t bleach the color away.

• Linda T.

Love the sketch organizer!! BTW the crayon and marble? Try a plain brown paper bag and an iron. Heat iron to medium, no steam setting. Cut open your brown paper bag and lay flat over the crayon markings. Place iron on top of crayon marks in marble. Gently wiggle iron around all the crayon markings and paper bag will absorb the crayon into the paper. If there is some left behind, then repeat with another clean bag. If any crayon gets on your iron just iron a clean paper bag or scrap piece of tiwel and it will absorb any crayon left.