Project 52: Date Nights

I am excited about this announcement. And it involves you. Yes, you! I want you to participate and report back.

We approached that time of the year where we think about new goals and projects for 2010. I have been contemplating doing a Project 365 myself. Project 365? Set a goal to do something every day for a year all the while blogging about it or recording it somewhere somehow. You know, Julie & Julia. Then the more I thought about it, 365 is a bit too much for my schedule. If I am going to commit to the project, it has to be doable. So I am turning my Project 365 into Project 52. Cutting it down to just once a week. That’s feasible.

The project. I recently read an article in a magazine about a couple’s experience having date nights at home. Hum… sounds interesting. Nathan and I will celebrate our 6th anniversary in 2010 and sad to say, we have neglected consistent date night ever since Kaye was born over 3 years ago. We have the same excuses many of you also face. Nathan is in graduate school most evenings. We don’t want to find and pay for a babysitter every week. Our current financial situation leaves little allowance for date nights. We are too busy. We can’t think of anything to do. The house is a mess. We are tired. The excuses continue.

After reading the article, Nathan and I decided this was something we need to work on in 2010. We need to get better at setting aside time to enrich our marriage. And now, I introduce you to our Project 52: Date Nights. More specifically in house date nights, for us. The main points are for us to be creative, cheap and spend quality time together. Nathan and I have committed to do date night each week with the following criteria…

• Every Friday night from 9 -10 p.m. is our date night. We usually have both kids in bed by 8:30 p.m.
  • Majority of the time the dates will be at home so we don’t need babysitters.
  • We rotate being in charge of date nights on a monthly basis.
  • Can’t do the same thing twice in one month.
  • Dates need to be free most of the time. If not free, then under a budget of $30. Cheaper than if we went out.
  • No children allowed.
  • Must create a date-like atmosphere. No frumpy clothes or pajamas. Make it a special event. Mind the details. But most of all, keep it simple.

Not only are we going to have date night beginning January 1st, we will be blogging about it here on SMM. Every Tuesday we will recap what we did for our date night the previous Friday. You will get a he said/she said critiques of the date.

Here is how YOU are involved. Yes, we want you to participate in Project 52: Date Nights with us! Whether you are in a relationship, engaged or married, I want you to commit to having weekly date nights with your special someone. I want the both of you to take this pledge. Read it, fill it out, sign it and post it somewhere you can see frequently. A little hesitant? Don’t worry, you can join Project 52: Date Nights any time.

Take the Project 52: Date Nights Pledge

Then check in with us every Tuesday for ideas, comments, feedbacks from our Project 52: Date Nights and yours. We want to hear from you and what creative ideas you came up with for date nights. Make comments and report how your date nights went each week. By the way, this is a family friendly site. So all dates and ideas will be appropriate for all ages. And please keep your comments family friendly too.

The pledge. Here is the Project 52: Date Nights pledge in PDF form for you to print out. Print one out for yourself. And maybe a few extras for your friends or family members to get them in on the fun. Discuss the project with your special someone. Talk about what is feasible for the two of you. Set a date and time to help you pencil that date in your calendars. Come up with a few criteria of your own. If you don’t want to do in house date nights, then plan going out date nights. The two important points here are be creative and keep it simple.

So… are you in or not? Make sure to involve your friends and families. Get them to take the pledge with their special someone. The more couples we get to do this, the more ideas and motivations we get to support each other in Project 52: Date Nights. While doing Project 52: Date Nights with us, if you come up with great ideas let me know so I can feature you on SMM! Come on! It’s only once a week. Only 52 dates to last you the whole year. Let’s do this!

78 Responses to “Project 52: Date Nights”

• damaris

My husband and I made the same resolution. he’s also in grad school and we also have a very tiny budget. However, my mom is living with us for a year (thanks heavens. I just had a baby by the way) so we have free babysitting. I have a 3 year old and a 3 month old. So even though we have babysitting we are some what limited because of nursing. But our idea is that we will go on a date every Friday. The first Friday of the month he plans. The Second Friday we go to the LDS Temple (we’re Mormons). The Third Friday I plan and the 4th Friday we do an at home date. We each get a $25 budget for our date. If we don’t use the money one month than it rolls over for the next month, in case we want to do something nicer.

Last week we went to a friends house for dinner, sans-children. This week we are going to the Temple. Next week is my turn to pick.

I’m excited to see all the different ideas.

• MoneyMagnetMummy

I so totally need ideas, so I’ll be keeping on my fellow daters. My husband & I have not been on a date since our son was born over 15 months ago. We did however go out for dessert last night (with our son) and it was an unusual event, and a pleasure. Alone time really would be great.

• Glenyce

This is a fantastic idea. My husband and I have made our plans, and I will be blogging about it. It will be good to be accountable to keep it up.

• Mande

We are committed! We will post on my blog every week about it and link back to you. This is the best idea I have heard in long while!

• Cyndi Bird

Last weeks date night consisted of going to the Seattle LDS Temple. It was wonderful to be where it is peaceful and be reminded of the covenants we made as husband and wife. Always a lift to go there!
    We then met up with friends at an Indian restaurant and had a great time eating wonderful food and talking~

• Claire

What a great idea! I am totally in. Now we just need to pick a time. I’m thinking Saturday nights, but we’ll see what my husband says. I can’t wait for the suggestions!

• Stephanie

I just saw your project on make & takes. Got to be honest, I teared up a little reading through your dates. I have been praying for a way for my hubby and I to re-connect but I had no idea where to start and with 3 little ones, my excuses were endless. This project is seriously an answer to prayer. It may seem silly but it’s true. I needed this inspiration. Thank you! We will be signing and participating and blogging our dates!

That is so great, Stephanie! I’m glad you’ll be joining us. I look forward to your dates. 🙂

• sarah may

I saw your guest spot on make and takes and linked it to my husband. We both love the idea and can’t wait to get started. I even blogged about it today 🙂

• tara

My husband just went to bed and then I stumbled across this. We totally need to do it! Our kids are 3 and 1 as well and spending time together has gotten harder and harder. Yet for 3 years I’ve had a ‘night out’ with my bff. I think it’s time to make a night for us too.
    Thanks for the idea and I hope we can find/agree on a time and join in the fun!

• Jesslyn

Just found this blog and my hubby and I are IN! Our twins turned 1 last week and we were just discussing how we need to take time for us again, now that we’ve survived the first year with twins. 🙂

• branflakes

This is GREAT! I am going to talk to my hubby about doing this, we really need it.

• Sarah Thrash

So, we’re going to do this…. ! starting a bit late, but that’s o.k. so far i like the fondue night, plus I’m about to read about puzzles and chips…..

• Debra

Ok, now Project 12 is our goal! My husband works a crazy rotating graveyard schedule which does not allow us to do anything the same night every week. But if we could be sure to set aside one night a month…I think that would be quite a feat…especially since I don’t know if we’ve gone on 12 date nights in the last 6 years!!

• Tammy N

I’m so glad I saw your bit on Studio 5! We’re going to join in on the pledge and I’m so excited to have a goal to have a date with my husband every week and improve our relationship together — one week at a time!

Hi Tammy! I’m excited for you to join us! I can’t wait to read about your dates on Tuesdays!

• Bethany H

I love this idea! I talked it over with my boyfriend and we both agreed we are going to give it a shot! Thanks so much for this awesome idea! We just had a baby 9 weeks ago and it really is important for us to continue to keep our connection during this difficult, but amazing, time in our lives!

• Kim

What a fabulous idea! When we were engaged, our pastor warned us that we would get busy and tried to tell us that we needed to make appointments for date nights. At the time, it sounded silly, but almost 4 years later I feel like we barely ever do anything just us anymore! No kids yet, but my husband has a busy job and I’m a very busy PA student that is away from home for school at least a week a month…. I think this would be something fabulous for our marriage.

I intend to bring it up with him when I get home from school this weekend, and I think he’ll be game. I’ll be looking forward to suggestions for date nights that don’t involve eating at the same restaurant we always do and seeing a movie, or just catching up on our DVR shows and having a beer together! 🙂

• Trisha

So great to see another couple devoted to date nights. My parents went on regular dates, and my husband and I have always made the effort to do so. Even if we can’t get out of the house, we make sure to plan weekly “us” time after the kids are in bed. Still, our routine could use some shaking up, for sure, because couples that do new things together stay together!