Project 52: Cookie Cook-Off

Date night continued even though I felt the on-coming of a cold Friday night. Once again, it was my turn to plan. We called our neighbor Mike and had him come over with his girlfriend for a double date. Mike is the best neighbor anyone could ask for. We try to do something with him every once in a while. Lesson #1: Date nights is not only for strengthening relationships with your significant other. It can also be used to strengthen friendships, too.

My idea for date night: A cookie cook-off. We flipped through cookbooks and picked out simple cookie recipes to try. It was us against them. Nathan and Tiffany… butterscotch oatmeal cookies. Mike and girlfriend… peanut butter pecan cookies. It was fun as the ladies read recipe instructions while then gentlemen baked. It was also fun to observe how other couples worked together. Neither Mike or his girlfriend bake much. So they were learning new skills. They did so well. Lesson #2: We can learn about relationships by observing other couples.

We had a great time eating cookie dough. Then eating baked cookies. And talking for the rest of the night. There was some friendly trash talking. And since everyone was so nice, we called it a tie. Of course we had to send them home with some cookies because we didn’t need over three dozen cookies in our house. Lesson #3: Overload of cookies = not good for my summer shape.

Nathan said: The cookies were good but I was more excited about the full glass of whole milk to dunk them in! Not the most healthy date we’ve had but it was fun and we enjoyed some friendly banter with our neighbors.

» Tell me… Did you have a fun date night last weekend? And which cookie would you pick to be the winner? Butterscotch oatmeal or peanut butter and pecans? Want to join Project 52: Date Night? Awesome! Start anytime. Go here for details about the project and print the pledge.

If you link up and don’t see your link on there, refresh the page. If it is still not there, try it again. If it gets on there twice by accident, I can always delete the second one. When you link up, please remember…

• Keep it clean and family friendly. This is a family friendly site. Anything inappropriate will be deleted.
  • It needs to be a date. Not your latest projects or pictures of your beautiful children. I do love reading about your projects and learning about your family. But this linky is for date nights and date nights only. It is for us to exchange date night ideas.
  • Link to a specific blog post about your date that week. Don’t just link to your site’s home page. It needs to be the direct link to the post. Anything not directly linked to the post will be deleted.
  • Link back to Simply Modern Mom or put the Project 52: Date Nights button on your site. It’s common courtesy. Please be nice.

Project 52 Date Nights

15 Responses to “Project 52: Cookie Cook-Off”

• cheree

Tiffany – I love, love, love this idea of a bake off. I am going to have to tuck that idea away for the future.

• Claire

What a great idea! And you are very right about learning from other couples. I need to do more of that.

• Whitney

I’m loving this idea. Tucked in my brain for future use.
    And I could never choose between butterscotch or peanut butter cookies. It would be like choosing a favorite child. Can’t be done.

whitney, you make a good point about choosing between the two types of cookies. 🙂

• Brandy

Sounds like such a great idea…I think we may have to do this with another couple sometime. Cookies look good too!

• Lauren

We had our first date night last Saturday. I stole Tiffany’s idea and rented The Bucket List and we made our own bucket list to hang on our office wall. Instead of things we want to do before we die, though, our bucket list is for things we want to do before we move (from Indiana back to Michigan where our family lives). Oh, and we ate some ice cream during the movie – for good measure.

• overtiredmum

Butterscotch everytime – too many nuts in the other one.
    Sounds like a fun night and I’m impressed that the cookies lasted long enough for a photo xo

• Line

Mmmm… Those butterscotch cookies are sounding very yummy right about now. What a great idea for a date–a bake-off. My husband would love a date like this because he loves cookies. 🙂

• Destri

we went skiing….again…I was going to set up a play station night, but ran out of time!! Before we had kids we would spend all night playing Gauntlet. It is a team player game and we had a ball. I found a knew version, so maybe next week!

• Sara

I’d have to hope for peanut butter oatmeal as I don’t care for butterscotch or pecans. Sounds like a ton of fun though.

• Spring

Just wanted to say that this idea of yours, well, it’s awesome! My husband & I started 2 weeks ago, as well as my sister in law & her fiance’ (VERY soon to be husband)! I’m getting more ppl to join as we go, and currently have 5 couples; we’re sending group emails to detail our dates, so that we are held accountable. It is so important for couples to take the time for one another, to make that commitment to being together & putting our relationships first. Thank you so much for this.

hi spring! i’m so glad you are participating in project 52: date nights. and you got 5 other couples to join too! that fabulous! i would love for you to come comment or leave links to your dates so i can read about them too. i have such a great time reading about other people’s dates.