Let me just clarify that I am not pregnant. I am doing some intensive spring cleaning at my house. As I was getting rid of stuff, I found some things I used with Kay, my first child, that I didn’t use with my second, Elle. This list might help some new mothers or expecting mothers decide what products they need and want. And later this week I’ll have baby products I love.
Baby products I used with my first child, but not my second…
- Diaper pail. Totally loved it with our first. Then we started tossing diapers in our kitchen trash that has a lid. Plus, that’s the trash we take out most often, like every other day. If it’s a stinky one, we use grocery bags to tie it up. So when Elle came around, we never brought out the diaper pail again.
- Diaper trash bags. I used to keep rolls of diaper trash bag and dispenser specifically made to toss stinky diapers. It came in handy when we were out in public or even containing wet or dirty clothes from diaper or potty training accidents. Now I just use grocery bags that I keep in the car and one in my purse.
- Diaper bag. Even though they make adorable diaper bags now, I still prefer to use large purses or totes. You can find diaper bags that look like purses, but most are pretty expensive. So I just learned to consolidate my diaper bag and put it all in my purse.
- Changing table. We used a changing table with our first child until she was about 18 months. Since then we have been changing diapers on the floor using a changing pad, or changing diapers on beds.
- Umbrella strollers. This was handing on vacations or a quick stroll around the neighborhood. But maybe it’s because we just have a cheap one, but the handles are actually too short for Nathan or I to push.
Baby products I have never used…
- Wipes warmer. None of my kids ever complained about the wipes being too cold on their bums.
- Nursing cover. I tried them. I even made a few of those fancy nursing covers. They never worked very well for me. Partly because I live in the South where it is too dang hot. I usually just cover up using my shirt. I learned to be discrete without a nursing cover. Plus I don’t nurse in front of people or in public places.
- Bouncers. We have a baby swing. I usually put my child in that or on the floor with a play mat.
- Infant shoes. I use socks on infants until they are about 9 months. Other than for the visual appeal, infants aren’t walking. So why the shoes?
- Safety gates. I know the importance of baby safety gates. I just never used one in my house. It’s because I can’t find one where we don’t have to mount it into the walls for the type of posts and rails we have on our stairs. We have always taught our kids to go up and down the stairs correctly. And we sometimes we use our entry bench to block the stairway. See pictures above… Our sneaky Elle has learned to get pass it.
» Tell me… What are some baby products you used with your first but not your second? And which baby products you found useless?