Back to basics tip #16: When you are hosting a party or an event, it can be difficult deciding who to invite. But sometimes, the hardest part is decided who not to invite. You don’t want to hurt people’s feelings or exclude certain people. But you may not have to space or the party budget to invite everyone you know. Next time this happens, ask yourself these questions…
- Who is this party for? If it’s for a child, invite those who will be fun for the child to have at his/her party. If it’s for your husband, invite your husband’s friends, not yours.
- What is the purpose of the party? Is it a birthday, graduation, anniversary, girl’s night out, baby shower? You may only want to invite those who have influenced the person in that certain way (school, church, family).
- Who else will be coming? If you have friends who are not acquainted with each other, you don’t have to invite them. Or if certain people don’t get along.
- What do you want to spend your money on? Do you want to spend most of your budget accommodating everyone or making it a fancy party for just a few people?
- Remember, you don’t have to invite everyone. It’s your party. You get to decide who comes or not. If someone feels excluded, invite them next time to something more fitting for them. And don’t feel obligated to invite someone to your party just because they invited you to theirs.
» Tell me… How do you decide who to invite or who not to invite to a party?