I am still recovering from Skirt Week. And thanks for all your wonderful comments on my skirts. So glad you liked them. I get asked all the time, “How do you do it all?” It’s funny that people ask me that because I ask other moms that all the time. I don’t feel like I am doing anything well, just enough to get by. I’ll show you. This is skirt week at my house…
The kids are in pajamas all day. Mom is too busy sewing to change your clothes. And Elle playing toys where I am trying to sew.
My craft closet spit out all my craft supplies. Mostly from me rummaging through everything to get out fabric. And my husband puts up with all the craft craziness.
Also, some of you commented on your lack of sewing skills. Well, there’s something you need to know about me. OK. Actually, there are several things you need to know about me and my sewing…
- I am by no means a seamstress or a fashion designer. I would love to learn more about fashion design. But I really have no clue as to what I am doing. I usually see something that I am inspired by then I start sketching in my notebook. You would laugh at my sketches. It looks like the work of my 3-year-old.
- I have only been sewing for a little over a year. That’s right. It started with wanting to make simple rectangular valances for our dining room and kitchen. I had to go over to my grandma’s house for her to show me how. And that was November 2008.
- I have never taken a class. Never attended a sewing class. It’s been self taught through trial and error or asking my grandma and my sewing friend, Emily, for advice. It’s good to have people who knows about sewing than me because I just want to pick their brains and learn everything I can from them.
- There are MANY trial and error moments. Believe me. The seam ripper and I are best friends. And I have projects that can totally appear on Craft Fail.
- I don’t actually own a sewing machine. Nope. I’ve been borrowing my mom’s. It has been nice borrowing hers because when I do get around to purchasing my own (probably when she forces me to because she wants hers back) I know which features I would like in my machine.
- I don’t know how to read actual patterns. You know those cute patterns that come in the paper packets that they sell in stores? Yeah, those things. I’ve never made anything from them yet. I have quite a few of them in my house. I just haven’t gotten around to learning how to use them quite yet. Hopefully soon.
- I don’t have a craft room. I wish I had one. Totally jealous of all of you who have a craft room to leave all your craft stuff out everywhere. Or where you can close the door and no one bugs you while you’re working. Until then our couch will look like this while I’m in the mist of my sewing projects.
So really. If I can sew, you can too. And let’s learn together!
»Tell me… Do you sew? Why or why not? When did you start sewing?