Sewing 101: Threading Your Sewing Machine

I know. I lied. Last week I said I would have a tutorial for you today. And I do. But I decided to save the tutorial until Wednesday. Only because for those of you who are actually learning how to use your sewing machine with my Sewing 101 Education Week will need these next couple lessons before you can make the easy apron tutorial I have for you. Thanks for being patient with me and hopefully you are learning something new.

Winding The Bobbin

1. Begin at the thread. Pull thread to the tension disc.
  2. Have it come back toward the bobbin.
  3. Pull the thread through one of the holes in the bobbin. And place the bobbin in the winding spindle.
  4. Push the winding spindle over to the right.
  5. Hold the thread end while you push the foot control (pedal). After the thread winds a few time, you can let go.
  6. When you get enough thread on your bobbin, cut the thread from the spool and trim the first thread end sticking up from the hole.

Preparing The Top Thread

1. Follow the numbers and arrows. Take thread to the thread guide.
  2. Go down, loop back up.
  3. Draw it through the take up lever from right to left.
  4. Bring it back down thought the needle bar.
  5. Go through the eye of the needle from the front to back.

10 Responses to “Sewing 101: Threading Your Sewing Machine”

• Robin

You are making me wish I could run out and buy a machine right now. Perhaps that home ec sewing class wasn’t such a waste of time.

• Chrissy

Thank you!
    Just a quick question how much of a “tail” from the thread on top should you leave behind the needle?

i usually pull out about 2-3 inches or longer if i am doing a basting stitch for gathering.

• Rachel

This series is great! I’ll be linking to this latest post.

• Cook Clean Craft

I’ve got some sewing machine threading disability where I always have to thread my machine at least twice. The thread seems to get caught in my top thread guide when I’m actually threading the needle. I can’t work out what I do wrong, but it generally works fine the second time.

• Alex @alexcampbell11

Thank you for all of these tips. I got a sewing machine for mothers day and it still sits in its box. I’m bookmarking all of these post to learn when I’m no scared. LOL.

• alexzander

i grew up knowing how to do this. when i got into theatre and started creating and actually making one of my designs i was told by me costume mentor that i was her favorite for knowing how to sew, thread the machine, wind the bobbin and follow a pattern all by myself. i thought that threading a machine and winding a bobbin was common knowledge, dude am i glad that i grew up in the family that i did.

• vickie

Wow my machine is exactly like the one you are using. Good for me! Perfect.