BTB Tip #20: Sticky Notes for Auto-Flush Toilets

Back to basics tip #20: You know how annoying those auto-flush toilets can be. It flushes while you are still going and when you are done, it doesn’t flush. You wave your hand in front of the sensor hoping it will flush so you don’t have to touch that nasty button to manually flush it.

And now that you have a little toddler sitting on these auto-flush toilets, it’s even worst because they don’t quite reach the sensors. Then they are scared to go after the toilet flushed on them before they actually went.

Solve that problem by keeping a stack of sticky notes in your purse or diaper bag. Before your toddler hops on the toilet, place a sticky note over the sensor. This will prevent the flushing before they are done. Remove the note when you are ready to flush.

The bonus to having sticky notes in your bag is you can also take a quick note or jot down a phone number.

» Tell me… What are your tricks for preventing the auto-flush going too soon? Are you annoyed by the auto-flush toilets or do you wish you had one at home?

Read other potty training articles… 22 Potty Training Tips for Modern Moms, your potty training questions answered, download a free potty training chart, 5 children’s potty books and adventures of modern mom story about when they revert.

12 Responses to “BTB Tip #20: Sticky Notes for Auto-Flush Toilets”

• Emily

That is such a good idea. I wish I had that when we were traveling. My son used a toilet like that for the first time and it flushed on him 12 times before he was finished. Every time it flushed it would startle him. He would look at me with these big brown eyes. I think he was worried that he was going to be sucked down the toilet.

• indywriter

Even worse than the automatic flush is the super-powered automatic flush. Some of those automatic flush toilets are so00000 loud and powerful that it would make my little one cry and cover her ears (and made that frightened behind all wet… eww).

• Stacy of KSW

I know two little ones who will be eternally grateful to you for posting this :) Thanks, as usual … oh yeah, and I’ve got a reply email headed your way!

• Emily@JanDee Crafts

Finally! We may actually be able to use public restrooms again!! My 3yr old will not use “super potty’s” as she calls them. Thank you so much! Why didn’t I think of that? You are awesome!!

• Rose

Lol! The auto-flush is no problem for me and my kids, my boys love when it flushes and they are still going! I wish I had it at home, my boys don’t flush at home, good grief! ;D

• Melissa

That’s a great idea! My friend’s niece used to have a fear of the “magnetic toilets,” as she called them. “I don’t want to use the magnetic toilets!”

• Mindy

I LOVE this idea! My little girl has a fear of automatic toilets. I’ve have to hold my hand over the sensor while she goes so it doesn’t flush and all the while she still jumps when the toilets beside her flush. This is going to be so much easier and sanitary!

• Kat

I am so grateful for this post! My 5-yr old will not use the “toilet with the eye” as she calls them. It is very inconvenient!! This will work wonderfully. Thank you!

• MOM OF TWO

Thank you! What a simple solution. Nice for the adults too – getting flushed on with dirty toilet water before you are finished is gross!