Scrunched Rosetta Fabric Flower Headband Tutorial

Since fabric flowers are all the trend right now, I stumbled upon this while I was making a ballet skirt for my daughter. I was flipping some sheer fabric right side out and thought the scrunches made it look like a flower. So I rightly named it my scrunched rosetta flowers. After I made it, I thought it could also be called eggs in a nest because that’s what it looked like too. Glue it on a headband, hair clips or some pins for a brooch and you got a new fashion statement. If you make something using this tutorial, please upload pictures of it in our Flickr group to show it off to everyone. You may be featured on Simply Modern Mom.

Supplies:

• scrap fabric
  • sewing needle
  • matching thread
  • scrap felt
  • glue gun
  • beads
  • headband, hair clips, brooch pins

1. Cut a long strip of fabric with a width of 4 inches.

2. Iron it flat. The sew the open edge lengthwise.

3. Trim off any excess seam you may have. You’ll want to get about 1/4 inch from the stitches or a bit closer. Then flip right side out using a safety pin.

4. Put your finger in the tube taking one of the open edge inside the hole. Scrunching the fabric as you go. Pretty much you are folding the fabric in half with half of it inside then scrunching it.

5. Pull off finger while holding the scrunched fabric together.

6. With a needle and matching thread, sew the scrunched flower back to front several times to secure the flower in place. Make three of them.

7. Cut a felt piece the size to fit three rosetta flowers on the back. Glue them in place with glue gun.

8. Glue some beads in the middle or whatever other adornment you may have. If this is for children, you may want to sew the beads in place so it’s more secured.

9. You can cover your headband by using the glue gun to glue ribbon wrapped around the headband to cover it and match the flowers. Or you can just glue the flowers right onto the headband itself.

10. Take another scrap felt piece and glue over the flower piece and headband. And done.

» Tell me… Are you wearing hair accessories? Or just your kids? What are some of your favorite hair accessory pieces?

22 Responses to “Scrunched Rosetta Fabric Flower Headband Tutorial”

• Nikki

Yeah, I’m so glad you posted this here. I was looking for it the other day, but I couldn’t remember where to find it! I love the headband. It’s so cute.

• Jenny Yarbrough

Oh, so so cute! I love wearing headbands. Hair accessories area almost a necessity when I have such short hair, but it’s hard for me to find a headband that won’t give me a headache.

• Rachel

That’s so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing this, I’ll be linking.

• Nani

Wow I really love this tutorial! thanks so much! Btw new follower!

nani, thanks so much for your kind words. so glad you’re a follower now! love to have you.

• Betsy

This is amazing! Great tutorial,I think I’m going to go make some rosetta’s now!

• Jill

You are the most amazing blogger ever. So creative and such a great writer. I wish we lived closer so we could exchange ideas on a daily basis. Truly inspiring! 😉

• Renee Candy Stick Lane

How Fantastic! I cant wait to get in the studio tomorrow and try one. I have a sheer with pink polka dots that I think will be beautiful! Ill upload to the flicker group as soon as im back home! XOXO
    Renee

• Stacie Myers

So adorable! Question, you said that the width was 4″. But can you give me an idea of the approximate length? Thanks so much!

the length of one flower was about 4-5 inches. if it’s too long, it will turn out too scrunched. but you can always cut off excess.

• Stacie Myers

Thanks so much, was working w/ a few different lengths trying to get it figured out!

• hair accessories

I’m looking for some nice hair stuff for my niece and I think this is so perfect! I love the headband. It’s so cute. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial.

• Loulee

I can’t wait to make one for my daughter. Picture day is right around the corner. I have a quick question. What is the length of the fabric strip? I get the width, I didn’t see how long to make it. Thank you

• Javii

Mee salvoo la idea :)… ise el mismo cintillo peroo nvez de varias mostacillas puse solo una del mismoo color de mi vestido 🙂 Graciias por compartir tu idea.

• Ashley

very cute tutorial, I was just wondering where you got the actual headband part from I’ve been looking around for that type and haven’t been able to find it.

Thanks

• juliana

que tipo de tela es la que se utiliza para que pueda saber pedirla en la tienda de telas… gracias