I have had my own home for four years now and I am slowly collecting holiday decorations. A little every year. I’m not one for going all out and purchasing everything all at once. So this year, I thought of this idea to make my own Christmas tree decorations. The ornament tree turned out pretty well. It’s sitting on our mantle. It was super easy to make. And I love the colors.
The only thing I would do differently next time would be to spray paint the cone a silver color. I thought the ornaments would be closer together. But because of their size and the size of the cone, it didn’t work out exactly they way I had pictured in my head. If you make something inspired by Simply Modern Mom, please upload pictures of it to our Flickr group to show it off to everyone. You may be featured on Simply Modern Mom.
- styrofoam cones
- mini plastic ornament bulbs
- glue gun and sticks
- matching color spray paint (optional)
1. If you want to spray paint the cone, that would be the first thing you do. Allow to completely dry before you start to glue things onto it.
2. I found these mini ornaments in Target’s dollar section. It was awesome because for a large size cone, I ended up using 10 packages with 16 bulbs in each package. Yeah, that many. Take off the tops of the ornaments.
3. Start from the top and go down. I poked the tops of the ornaments into the cone, making a hole in the styrofoam. Made sure that’s where I wanted to put it. Then I pulled the ornament out, put glue using the glue gun around the part that stuck in and put it back.
4. Start working your way down going one row at a time.
5. I found these wooden stars at Michael’s. They were the perfect size. I glued one at the very top of the tree. And done!
» Tell me… What homemade Christmas decoration did you make this year?