A new year with new craft and sewing projects. How exciting! Here is a simple one to start out with for the year. Remember that ballet hobo dance bag I made for my daughter? Well, I made one for myself. This time I made it reversible yellow and red stripes.
It’s one of my grab-and-go bags where I drop my wallet, phone and keys in there and go. I switch colors depending on what I am wearing or my mood. Remember, if you make something Simply Modern Mom inspired, put photos of it up in the Flickr group to show it off to everyone.
To make this bag, gather the same supplies and use the pattern from the Hobo Dance Bag Tutorial. Then follow these first few steps…
1. With 4 of the bag patterns cut out (2 of each color), match the right sides together. Sew the outer part of the bag of each colors.
2. Flip one of the color right sides out. Place it inside the bag that is wrong side out. Pin the top part together. Leave the top corners where it is supposed to connect to the handle. Don’t sew that part closed.
3. Now sew the top of the bag, leaving an opening large enough to put your hand in.
4. Using the opening at the top of the bag, pull the inside bag out so both bags are attached at the top and both are right side out.
5. Tuck one of the colors inside the other bag. Iron the sewn edges and the seam allowance of the opening for it to lie flat.
6. Top stitch the top of the bag all the way around, including the opening where you pulled the bag right side out. But not the handle openings, don’t sew those two parts.
Pick up the Hobo Dance Bag tutorial from step 12 to finish the handle and the rest of the bag. And there you have it! A reversible bag using the same pattern as the hobo dance bag.
» Tell me… Do you have a purse you use when you are not carrying a diaper bag or do you always carry a mommy/diaper bag?