Friday’s 5 at 5: Workout Videos

I need to workout. I want to workout and get in shape. Lately, I am immersed in several projects and keeping up with the children that I haven’t gotten into a routine that includes exercise. Totally bad. I want to workout so I can get in shape and be healthy. But I’m not one who enjoys exercising. I don’t have the motivation to make it a part of my regular routines. So bad, huh? I envy those who loves working out and make it a part of their daily life. They always look so great and happy.

But realistically. With two little ones who I am trying to clean after and keep happy during the day, I’m completely exhausted by the evening to slip away for an hour or two to sweat in the gym. And early mornings. Well, that’s worst than the evenings. I have never been a morning person and I have a hard time getting up before 7 to sweat it out at home.

Since it is more realistic for me to work out at home, let me tell you some of the workout videos I have tried…

1. P90X. Many of our friends and family members have used this to get in shape so we decided to give it a try. Nathan is usually not a workout video type of guy, but he liked this one. It is expensive (about $150), so we borrowed it from Nathan’s parents. It was a great workout for people at different exercise levels and it helps you to build up your strength. It really tailors to the individual and their abilities. The other bad thing about it (other than cost) is the equipment you need can be expensive too – pull-up bar, adjustable weight sets and others. Also, this workout program is mostly about building muscles and for me, as a woman, I would like to slim down rather than look buff. We didn’t do the food plan, so I can’t tell you much about that.
  2. The Tracy Anderson’s Post-Pregnancy Workout. I did a lot of research into Tracy Anderson before I actually bought this DVD. So she can be a little coo-coo according to some reports, but her workout video is awesome. You may have heard of her as she has trained many celebrities including Gwyneth Paltrow and Madonna. The thing I love about Tracy Anderson is the fact that she wants women to look slim and toned, like women rather than a body builder. So this DVD is all about toning parts of the body by doing lots of reps. I cringed in pain just watching the DVD the first time. The only equipment you really need is 3 pound weights. And all the workouts are doable for beginners. I haven’t tried any of her other workout DVDs, but this one is a great one. Her workout videos are around $30 each.
  3. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I’m a fan of The Biggest Loser on TV and so I thought I would give Jillian Michaels a try. It was a good workout where she does a mixture of cardio to get your heart rate up then toning exercises in between to shock your body to get quicker results. She is really good at motivating and telling as well as showing you what to do. No in-your-face screaming like she does on the show. There are different levels so you can do what works best for you. The best part is it is totally affordable at $11.
  4. Billy Blanks’ Tae Bo. I have actually tried several of his videos because I rented them on Netflix. It is intense cardio workout and fun Tae Bo. The guy is kind of funny to watch, but he gets you sweating fast. It does take some coordination to get to combo routines down but nothing way too complicated.
  5. Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board. I haven’t really used this as an exercise program. It’s been more of a family activity game to get all of us moving. Some of the games does get you sweating (running, step and yoga), but others are more toning and balance activities. Although, our kids love to play Wii Fit so it’s a great way for them to get moving in front of the TV. It automatically tracks how many calories you burned and when you workout. Another great thing is you can set weight loss goals. It is expensive ($80-$100) since you need the balance board to use the Wii Fit games, assuming you all ready own a Wii console.

A note about all the above videos: None of them have good music to them. So if you are like me, need awesome music to really get into it, come up with your own workout playlist and play it over the videos.

» Tell me… What is a good exercise video you use to lose weight or get in shape? Have you had experiences with any of these workout videos? I also like Zumba but haven’t found a good DVD for it. Suggestions?

+ images from Amazon

18 Responses to “Friday’s 5 at 5: Workout Videos”

• Ms. Amy

I’ve done TurboFire, Turbo Jam, and I also bought (but have yet to start) Chalean Extreme. These are all by the same company that makes/markets P90X. I REALLY like these DVD’s, and I had tangible results with the Turbo’s. They mix cardio with toning, and can be done with resistance bands. Plus, they are FUN! They are not cheap, but if you break down the cost per video, they are about the same as buying individually. I am looking forward to starting Chalean Extreme (it’s a weight training series), as the idea is that building muscle burns fat while toning. Gotta love that!

I’ve also done the 30Day Shred, and I have to say it is a great video to get you back on the road to fitness. Best of luck to you!

• Yvette

I’m sure you can just guess what I would say. :) But, a real class has way better music than my instructor videos!

• Cecilia

I find it hard to do videos, as my kids like to get in the way as I’m doing them. That being said, I have tried several of the Jillian Michaels videos through free video on demand in my DVR plan. I like that she tries to use as many muscle groups at the same time as possible and alternate cardio and weight training so we can maximize the 20-30 min workout…

• Jo Green

Turbo Fire and Turbo Jam are super fun, and all you really need is a good pair of shoes and a resistance band (about $25).

• Emily

Thanks for posting your reviews! It’s nice to hear what a friend thinks (we can be friends, right?) and not just opinions from people I don’t know at all. . . .I’ve tried Tracy’s Post Pregnancy Workout and her Mat Workout DVD. My abs have always been weak (and got worse after not working out/stretching out with a baby) and the post pregnancy workout is awesome. I also like how her workouts aren’t about bulking up. There isn’t really much cardio in the post pregnancy workout, unless you’re out of shape like I am. I listen to my own music and watch her or do it from memory. The mat dvd seems to be mostly legs, which is a bit more cardio but I guess my legs are in shape (ha) and the workout wasn’t that hard. I got both dvds for around $20 on ebay.

I used to belong to 24 Hour Fitness and loved their classes! Then I moved away for school, got married, and have a busy toddler. There aren’t any gyms here that I’m willing to pay for. I miss the variety and challenge of live classes. I recently found this website that I’m interested in trying. I have no affiliation with them and I’m not trying to sell them or anything. http://www.thegymbox.com

It looks like they send you different classes each week so you don’t get bored.

of course we’re friends, emily! it’s nice hearing what you thought of tracy anderson’s mat workout. i was thinking of getting her dance one next but heard that’s kinda hard to follow.

• Emily Flippin Maruna

Its so funny you’re doing this because I was just writing a bit of a review over on facebook. I really like to dance so I’ve been using Netflix to try out some dance workout videos. (They have all sorts of workout videos so you should definitely try them out before you buy a video!). I just did The Bollywood Dance Workout with Hemalayaa today and it was a lot of fun and makes you sweat too!

i did that too. although, when i did it, netflix didn’t have very good selection of dance videos. are they better now?

• Kim

I love Zumba. I borrowed the dvds from one of my husband’s coworkers.
    I feel the same way as you do. I am a stay at home mom of 3. I hate waking up early! Even when I do wake up early to excercise I feel like I am dragging through it and not really getting the most for my time. Working out at night keeps me up, so my solution is to do it during the kids naptime. I know that most mom’s don’t want to give up the precious little time in the day that they have without children, but it’s what works best for me. Sure it’s a sacrifice, but I am not half asleep at this time and it gives me a boost of energy to finish the day. Plus I am doing something good for me :)

Keep trying to find what works for you and stick with it :) That’s what I am attempting to do!

• melanie

This isn’t a video, but it is a workout program you can easily do at home. I did this last year – I lost weight and toned (not bulked) up. It also clued me into how I was approaching food and allowed me to break bad habits as well as make better choices.

It’s jump-roping complete with diet and strength training AND you have to blog regularly about your experience as you go through the program. I still from time to time take out my old workout sheets and go through them. If you search the website, I’m sure you can find my blog. Good luck.

• Sarah B R

It’s a myth that you’ll get big, bulky muscles if you do weights, even heavy weights. Women who look manly take heavy supplementation and/or steroids. Lifting weights or doing push ups pull ups will help you get toned faster, give you overall results faster as muscle burns more calories and a stronger body functions better.
    I really like the body for life book to understand more about how it works.
    The zone diet is great too. Goog job getting your exercise in!

• ameliorateme

I run when my daughter naps or sleeps. I run around the block (the exact length of a track) over and over again. This was the only way I could workout when my husband worked out-of-town last year. It’s HARD to workout when you’ve got kids, but I have more energy when I workout (because I’m really focusing on eating healthy, drinking lots of water and getting enough sleep at bedtime).

• Taylor

I also run during my daughter’s naps. It all started for me when I registered for the Resolution Run in Atlanta (it’s just a 5k and a lot of people walk it) and just went out and did it 3 months after I had my daughter. That was the first time I’ve ever run in my life. But I got hooked and did a half marathon last November! I felt like having that date hovering over me kept me doing what I needed to do.

• Annie-Savor This Moment

Thanks for the reviews. When I just had my oldest two kids, I joined a women’s only gym and LOVED it…loved the classes, the trainers, the complementary childcare, and my kids loved going, too. It was a great playdate, and mommy got to work out!

Fast forward to two more kids and no money in the budget for a membership, and mommy with 40 more pounds on her. Well, I’ve been trying to work out and get healthy, too.

My go-to DVD’s right now are Leslie Sansone’s walking videos. They are really low-key, but are great in a pinch. You can walk 1, 2, or 3 miles, depending on the time you have and your ability. They’re also great for every age group since the moves are simple, and the kids like to do them with me. I usually put my own playlist on, too, since the music is so cheesy. As long as I’m going along with her, it’s just fine. And they’re really inexpensive, around $10 a video.

• Jesslyn

Have to agree with Sarah B R – weight lifting gives you the most toning bang for your buck. I used to fear the “bulky instead of feminine” image as well, but then I got a personal trainer who had me doing a lot of weights and I learned the “bulking up” thing is a myth unless you’re on major steroids. After I got married, my husband turned me on to Body For Life and it is so great! You get a lot done in a short amount of time so it’s great for those of us wiht young kids.

• Emily

Hey Tiffany! I tried one of Tracy’s short dance routines on her youtube channel. They’re kind of hard for me to follow (and I have a decent dance background). They did get my heart rate up, but I can do that just having my own dance party. :)