Making Bias Tape

Going through my list of sewing projects, I realized I need bias tape for many of them. So I got working on making my own bias tape. I bought a yard of each fabric above from Wal-Mart. Came home to wash and iron them. Then I got working on them. I had purchased a few manual bias tape makers from Joann earlier this year. Never got around to really using it until now. I don’t know why it took me so long to use it. I had a great time making my own bias tape.

So. Here’s what you need to know about making your own bias tape, if you haven’t done it before.

• Technically you don’t need a manual or automatic bias tape maker to make bias tape. A simple measuring tape and iron will work. It would just take much longer to do it that way.
  • My friend, Dana from MADE, has an awesome bias tape tutorial if you want to learn how to make it and what bias tape is used for.
  • The benefits of making your own bias tape is you can turn just about any fabric into bias tape. Although, some fabric will work better than others. This means you can have cute looking bias tape rather than only the solid color bias tapes they sell in stores.
  • Even half a yard of fabric will yield more tape than the store bought ones. I got about 9 yard of bias tape from half a yard of fabric.
  • If you are making double fold bias tape (bias tape that’s folded in half), make sure one side sticks out more than the other to make it easier to sew later on.
  • I’ve never used an electronic/automatic bias tape maker before, but the manual bias tape makers worked wonderfully for me. I have the 1/2-Inch Tape Maker, 1-inch tape maker and I recently purchased the 2-inch tape makeronline. Can’t find the 2-inch in stores, believe me, I’ve checked.

I can’t wait to get working on the 1-inch bias tapes (using the 2-inch bias tape maker I just ordered). Also next up… Ruffles! I got a ruffler foot for my machine. Can’t wait to start ruffling. I’m thinking of another Skirt Week coming up in the future.

» Tell me… Do you make your own bias tape? What kind of sewing projects do you use bias tape for?

12 Responses to “Making Bias Tape”

• Kelli

I love fun bias tape and often use it instead of facing on clothing for my kids and for me, or for hong kong seams. Plus, I quilt, so I obviously use it for bindings as well. I make mine the old fashioned way because I never remember to buy a manual maker when I’m at the store and I’m too cheap to buy a fancy mechanical one. :)

• Alison

I use bias tape a lot, but I’ve never even heard of making it! I’m definitely gonna have to give this a try!

• Emily

These are so pretty! I need to pick up a one inch bias tape maker the next time I’m at Joann’s. I haven’t made much bias tape yet but think it’s darling for finishing pockets and sleeve holes.

• Jenny

So funny! I am making bias tape for a dress neckline and armholes right now! The fabric is too soft to get through my manual bias tape maker, so I’m having to do it the long way.

• Katie

I L.O.V.E bias tape, mainly because I am too lazy to to hems :/. I really want to make my own, but I’m too lazy for that too. But your pretty piles of bias tape have sparked some inspiration, so maybe it will get moved further up my todo list. Thanks for sharing.

• dana

Such pretty colors! Makes me want to sew a fun purse or something. Cute Tiffany!

• marisa

I have the same Clover bias makers but am scared to try them! I think I might take a leap and try it now!

• Caitlin

Does the manual bias tape maker make the double fold bias tape? How will you get 1 ” tape from the 2″ maker? So confused… :)

it is confusing. the manual bias tape maker does make double fold bias tape. after you iron the bias tape through the maker, fold in half and iron to make double fold. i made all my bias tape double fold because that’s pretty much all i use. manual bias tape makers found in stores (sizes 1/8-inch to 1-inch) give you the measurement of the size of the bias tape as single fold, not double fold bias tape. so if you double fold those, it would be half the size (ex. 1-inch bias tape maker = 1/2-inch double fold bias tape). but for some reason, the 2-inch bias tape maker (found only online) is actually 2-inch single fold bias tape and makes 1-inch double fold bias tape. i don’t know why there’s a difference. hope that clarifies some things for you. feel free to contact me if you still don’t understand or have more questions. :)