Adventures of Modern Mom: Mouse Trap

We are moving. We have to. There is at least one mouse in our house and I am freaking out. I don’t do rodents. Eww. Disgusting. Gross. I found this package of Nutter Butter in our pantry with this hole in it. I snapped a picture, texted it to Nathan at work and told him I am not going into the kitchen until that mouse is caught and dead.

After Kaye came home from school, we went to Home Depot and picked up a mouse trap. Nathan is extremely humane and refuses to let this mouse die. So we had to get a humane trap so he can let the mouse out somewhere else. It took a couple of days but we finally caught the little stinker Saturday morning. We spent the rest of the day cleaning and sanitizing the kitchen from top to bottom.

Then yesterday morning, Nathan gave the bad news that he found more mouse poop in the kitchen. In places where we cleaned the day before. So now there’s more. Oh, yuck. Today, we are calling in the experts. Hopefully they can take care of it soon. I can’t keep living like this. And no. We’re not really moving even though I would like to. This house has been contaminated and they will be back. I just know it.

» Tell me… Have you ever had problems with bugs, rodents, terminates or other pests in your home? How do you handle it?

14 Responses to “Adventures of Modern Mom: Mouse Trap”

• Nani

a few months back we had a mouse in the house. unfortunately I never knew there was such a thing as wild mice which live in NC and ugh are they tricky. Luckily iw as one (we left out the traps for weeks afterwards in case we had another hiding somewhere. I hate rodents, and bugs. Especially with a baby/toddler around. thinking about it gives me the heebeejeebee’s

• merricontrary

glory be…we have them lately, too! in fact, one keeps leaving little teeny nasties in my SILVERWARE DRAWER. go ahead, shudder. i did.

after bleaching everything, i’m currently storing the silverware in the fridge. at least it seals.

• Nate

The silverware drawer feels like a serious invasion of privacy. That’s just gross.

• Erin

The worst! I totally empathize. We had a mouse this time last year. I first discovered it when I was lying in bed in the dark with my two six-month olds and I could hear something scratching. I would have sworn it was a squirrel or something much larger that was going to eat me and my babies. I may have freaked out a little (a lot) and also declared that we were moving. We caught it the next day IN THE NURSERY! I thought I would never get over it and would never feel comfortable here again. But we left a bunch of traps out for probably a couple months after that (and we did some additional foam sealing of tiny cracks we think could have been the entry point). No more activity and I eventually forgot about it until reading your post. I hope you get great professional service and get back to feeling comfortable at home ASAP. Good luck!

• Kris

mice are the worst. we used to get them every year in our old house when it would start to get cold. we got this thing that you plug into the wall and it supposedly makes a sound that mice don’t like. i was skeptical but we never got a mouse in the house after we plugged it in. I plugged it in this house in the garage when we moved in and we have never had a mouse here either. i think it is worth the try. good luck!!

i’ll have to look into the sound thing. it might be nicer than getting a cat since we are allergic to cats here.

• Bethany

I’m so afraid of mice I take our dog with us every time I go in the garage, just in case. If I were you, I might get a cat even though I’m not a cat person :)

• Jenny

Ugh! When the pros are done at your house send them to ours. We’ve been trying to catch a mouse in our kitchen for weeks now. It’s grossing me out!

jenny, get a mouse trap at home depot for $5 and put peanut butter on it. our mouse also liked sweetened shredded coconuts too.

• Sandy

I once had a mouse that would laugh at us after eating all the peanut butter off the trap, several times. It took us quite awhile to finally catch him. We also had a cat in the house and he was really embarrassed that he was also being laughed at.

• colleen @ hello olive

When my son was a baby I used to breastfeed him in the lounge (so I could watch the telly – he used to feed for aaages). One night, as I was sat there in the dark watching tv I saw a mouse scurry behind the tv stand. Eek. We always try and catch them and set them free but this one was stubborn and refused the humane trap so we had to get a ‘proper’ trap in the end. I also remember my mom had them years and years ago and they would climb her curtains! Now that’s gross!!!

• mika

lol. we get mice every year in our old house. I used to freak out but I have gotten better. We tried having a cat, and the cat caught a mouse and gave it to my 3 yr old who then brought it to me. I have never screamed so loud. We gave the cat away, and now we hide traps where my little guys won’t find or touch!