Adventures of Modern Mom: Tumultuous Tumors

I don’t mean to be so gloomy lately with all our illnesses and then my grandfather’s passing and now this. But I thought I needed to share what we are currently experiencing because I know some of you may be going through the same thing.

Last week Nathan’s dad called and told him the news. The doctors discovered a large tumor in his liver. It was a surprise to all of us because the people you hear getting liver tumors or cancer are those who drink alcohol. Nathan’s dad never drank in his life. After looking at CT scans, the doctors think it may be cancerous. Yesterday he had a biopsy. Friday we will find out if it is cancer, what stage it is and the prognosis.

We keep think this is all a dream and one day we will wake up and things will go back to normal. We have been in close contact with Nathan’s parents and siblings. We are all going through the same things, same emotions. Right now it is a waiting game as we await the results of the biopsy. But still, the thing that is getting us through this trial is faith and gratitude. Being strong in our faith and being grateful for the many blessings and memories and most of all, each other. There has been an outpour of support and love from extended family and friends.

I know we can get through this because three years ago, I went through this same thing with my mom. The doctors discovered a tumor in her cervix and it turned out to be stage 2 cervical cancer. My family and I were by her side as she fought her battle against cancer. It was not easy but we conquered it. She has been cancer free for two years now. I know we can do this again. Lots of prayers, faith and gratitude.

» Tell me… Have you been through a similar experience or know of someone who has cancer?

8 Responses to “Adventures of Modern Mom: Tumultuous Tumors”

• Mollie D

The sad thing is, it’s getting to the point where everyone has had a close experience with cancer. My mother had cervical cancer- it’s very hereditary as I’m sure you know, so make sure you are taking care of yourself too and getting screened.

Prayers and good vibes coming your way for your father in law.

• Emily

Prayers for you and your family. 🙁 I’ll spare you my cancer stories b/c they aren’t very uplifting.

• Stephanie S. Toone

What a scary thing. I have all sorts of cancers (& tumors too) on both sides of my family – lost both grandfathers and an uncle to them. My mom had early stage Thyroid cancer as well as early Melanoma but is absolutely fine. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

• Karen Chatters

Positive thoughts for your FIL, I know how scary this is for everyone.

My dad just had a pancreas screening and they found “a little something.” They will wait and rescreen in May but really, I find it all somewhat terrifying.

• Myrna

Six years ago at Christmas (2005)I lost my mum to cancer, she had been a 2 time survivor. She went into hospital to have a blockage removed from her intestines and the cancer came back, she was gone in a week. I spent it by her bedside.
    The next Sept my 32 yr old son was diagnosed with numerous brain tumers, Dean was operated on and they were able to remove the large one but had to use a Gamma Ray on the other two. In Dec it came back with a vengence, he passed away Dec 30, 2006. The time I spent in the hospital was mostly in the chapel whenever we were not in his room. I asked God for the strength to help us all to be strong, Dean left a daughter 12 and a son 1. For myself, it is my faith that has helped me. I’m not a go to churcher, but I know that I will see him and my mom and dad again.
    You and yours are in my prayers

• Lefa

My brother in law died just this past October from Stage 4 Metastatic Malignant Melanoma, and my mom has Stage 2b Breast Cancer. (And my grandma and my aunt..)

• Elizabeth

In our thoughts, with much love and many prayers for Nathan’s Father and your family. XOXOXO