Last week we had a heatwave come through and had temperatures up to 106 degrees! I know, those of you living in Texas and Arizona are just laughing at me because 106 degrees is considered cool to you. Well, we also had full humidity too. Phew. So it was the perfect time to make some ice cream pie. Anything cold is refreshing in such weather.
This is a recipe my mother-in-law showed me a few years ago when she was visiting with us. It was so simple to make that it’s a family favorite. I have not met a person who hasn’t just loved this recipe.
- 1 box of vanilla ice cream
- 1 can of frozen concentrate raspberry lemonade (or any of the lemonades will work too)
- 1/2 tub of whipped topping
- 2 graham cracker pie crusts
1. Set the ice cream and concentrate lemonade out in room temperature to soften. Don’t let it melt all the way, just softened. Probably about 15 minutes.
2. Once softened, scoop the entire box of ice cream into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the can of concentrate lemonade and 1/2 tub of the whipped topping.
4. Using a mixing spoon, mix by hand the ice cream with the topping and concentrate. Once it is well mixed, pour into the pie crusts. It makes two pies.
5. Recover the pie and refreeze over night or for at least 4 hours.
» Tell me… What is your favorite ice cream or cold treat for a hot summer day?